an exercise in Documentary Filmmaking at
SHOOT! Practical Videography School, Quezon City, Philippines
Video editing by Evelyn Yap
Video interview by Team Perie & Evelyn
Mentoring by EJ Mijares
Transcript and translation by Evelyn Yap
Thanks to Zenny & Nolie Mangubat
4J’s Angels Garden, Quezon Memorial Circle, Quezon City, NCR Philippines
This video also appears in my Libre.video (PeerTube) channel.
Documentary Filmmaking Workshop at the SHOOT! Practical Videography School
It was a 3-day workshop where
- about 80% of our class of 13 were new to any kind of videography or filmmaking, a couple of whom weren’t even familiar with the video editing software on their computers.
- Day 1 was a full day of lecture + samples + demonstration,
- Day 2 was a couple of hours of lecture + an afternoon of shooting, and
- Day 3 was a couple of hours of lecture + an afternoon of editing with some coaching, which was generously extended till the early evening, out of consideration for us beginners + a screening and critique of our videos.
Our practicum was an interview.
Unlike those interviews you see on TV, we didn’t have the luxury of pre-planning and research. We found out over lunch, on Day 2, what we were to do that afternoon. Right then and there, we picked our subject and went straight into shooting and interviewing.
We were scattered all over the 15-hectare Quezon Memorial Circle park yet, somehow, our super mentor EJ Mijares managed to check on, and coach, all of us. Apparently we didn’t disperse far enough. 😋
It was a little crazy, but we all loved it! 😅
a whole afternoon of shooting and interviewing + a whole afternoon of video editing = a 2- to 3-minute video 😆
Not bad for a bunch of beginners. 😎
Gear used (with affiliate links):
- Evelyn’s Nikon D7000 and Perie’s Nikon D750 DSLR cameras = https://amzn.to/2Y9MBcv
- Evelyn’s Sigma f/2.8 lens 24-70mm = https://amzn.to/2qeUNeQ
- (I will refrain from mentioning the sad little lens that Perie had on his awesome camera. Fortunately, he’s a pretty decent videographer. So that made up for it.)
- camera tripod = https://amzn.to/34Je1Iw
- a borrowed Boya wired lapel lavalier microphone = https://amzn.to/2RWepQD (I know, I know. Time to buy my own.)
- Blackmagic Design’s DaVinci Resolve for video editing = https://amzn.to/2M5BLj1
- notebook computer for video editing = Intel i7 8th Gen with NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX, 16GB RAM, 15″ screen (I’m not mentioning my laptop’s brand. First time I bought that brand and I’m regretting it. Anyway, the main thing is what’s inside the computer.)